18

Scary …when I almost got mugged!


I was window shopping at Hyper City this evening for close to three hours. Oh; in fact I can spend days looking at home decor stuff, stationary items, books and CDs. The only thing I hate about these shops is the white sticker with numbers and bar code they place on the things I can’t take my eyes and hands off, which they fondly call the price tag. It reminds me of the tale of sour grapes :p

When my legs became tired of carrying my weight, I decided to exit the place, promising to return soon to the store, to redo the exercise.

As I walked towards home, I tore opened the wrapper of the chocolate I bought to pamper me - the little delights I gift myself! I licked the edges of the chocolate bar to satisfy my dreamy heart which believes that I am the girl who jumps in joy in the Cadbury TV commercial.

Reality check! I hurt my feet bumping against a fruit vendor’s trolley and there goes his oranges - rolling on the road one after the other. Both of us could do nothing but just helplessly look at cars and buses squeezing them with their wheels to splash the orange juice all over the place!

I was sure that he was going to yell at me in Kannada for the mess I made. This language in high pitch would definitely give me a head ache. So before he could open his mouth, I admitted my mistake and promised to pay for his loss. As usual, I had no money in my wallet; so had to visit the ATM counter across the road. As a deposit, I gave him the half bitten chocolate and immediately ran towards the money machine as I didn't want to give him any time to react. Through the corner of my eye, I saw him standing by the road like the Statue of Liberty - one hand up in the air which had my chocolate.  

I inserted the card in the machine; that is when I remembered to check my phone to find out the ATM pin. As I was doing all this patiently, I realized something was stinking. Yuck; it was terrible. As I turned around to find out the source, I noticed this guy standing right behind me, who wore a pair of yellow shoes. And, the Sherlock Homes in me spotted dung below his shoes.

Will you please step out till I finish? Sorry to say this…but the dung stuck on your shoes is giving such awful smell.” I said this and looked at his face. He had his helmet on.

Hey lady…enter your password. Now…right now! Don’t dare to utter a word” He even had a knife pointed at me that resembled the knife Sreedevi used in some Hindi movie whose name I don’t remember.

I realized he is the famous ATM villain the newspapers and TV channels celebrated a few months ago. I felt it is wise to let him loot, so that he will not harm me. After all, nothing is as precious as my God-given life.

I entered the pin and pressed ‘ENTER’. I could see his eyes fixed on the screen, one of his hands still had the knife and the other followed the instructions of the machine to find out my balance. And when the magical figure popped up on the screen, to my surprise, he just collapsed on the ground.

The doctors who did his post-mortem declared that the reason for death is sudden unanticipated grief.

Now, this is a warning to all the muggers out there – you may not die (which is an extreme case) like this fellow. But I am afraid; you might end up giving your hard earned money to me as my bank balance is indeed a sad figure! True!!

* * *

Added later – Two of my concerned friends wrote to me to check if there is any truth in the above story. Darlings…if so, do you think I will have the time to sit at home and reply to your messages? I would have been with Arnab Goswami, sitting under his saliva shower, talking to the nation. 
Have a great evening friends!!

PS – However, I was serious when I wrote about my bank balance. I swear :)  
   

18 comments:

Meety said...

Having a terrible bank balance while you are home maker is more forgivable than having one while you are still employed... That man would've hugged and given me a treat at Benitos had he seen mine ;-)

Vidya said...

enikyu vaiyya.....ROFL!

Dr Roshan Radhakrishnan said...

does this mean you're not giving me the thousand dollar moneys and 10 banana fritters you owe me????

ʞɐ said...

Right! You were serious about your bank balance. No. No sarcasm at all. I swear! :)

Pink Mango Tree said...

@ meety - now that you have said that, lets go to Benitos to celebrate our sad bank balance :)

@ Vidya - not so rofl at the above mentioned figures :) :)

@ Roshan - that exactly is the intention. i have indirectly filed bankruptcy; so you better forget the moneys i owe you! :p

@ The guy in the hat - thanks; very kind of you. I swear I mean it. :) :)

ʞɐ said...

Same here. I mean it.

vijaya said...

Shalu - you almost had me there ! I take it this post is your first venture into writing Poirot-like mysteries full of unexpected twists? Please break out into song in the final scene - in true Bolly ishtyle :p

Pink Mango Tree said...

Vijayechi,

yes yes... there is a song too when the hero dies, which is this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rAsJLSCuAU

(I'm Sorry Mere Pyaare, Jaane Do)

Seema said...

reading this item number of yours i swallowed my tongue and then reaching to the end of the saga got it back in place..
LOLzzz you got the hell out. But am glad we spoke today thanks to you item.

Aishwarya V said...

well written :)

Pink Mango Tree said...

thanks, seema & aishwarya :)

Anita Jeyan said...

LOL ! Yeah even my bank balance is a tragedy. I do not wear gold, my purse hardly has any solid cash and if at all at gun point I am led to an ATM thats when the tragedy begins. May be the thief will consider me to join their gang or something.

Pink Mango Tree said...

@ Anita - yours won't be as disastrous as mine. Wanna bet?! :p :p

eternalthinker said...

Just read your comment in blog. I do remember you :D

I almost thought the story was true, until the end :-o

Pink Mango Tree said...

Rahul anand... Have you noticed, my blog uses ET template :)

Anonymous said...

It was very artificial right from the first line...you have good writing skills but why think like a 3rd grader?

Pink Mango Tree said...

My Dear "Anonymous" Friend... Didn't you know it is a third grader who is writing this?

BTW, thanks a lot for leaving a comment :)

D.Nambiar said...

Another of your signature Gotcha-posts, eh? Nice :)

Back to Top